Thursday, January 31, 2013

slice of my life #6, with time to think... the beginning of the big heart baking company.

one of the blessings of being sick is that there is so much time to just think, ponder, create in your mind.
I spent some of my downtime reviewing in my mind this blog. I realize how important it is to me. I am someone who needs a purpose and goals. so to set the goal of at least one "something special" or "slice of my life" everyday, but giving myself the cushion on not having to post everyday. some days will  have more than one I am working on being kinder to myself. this has given me permission to be creative, focus on the moment and share slices of my life with others. I know that I lead a out of the box life, and hope that someone, someday will be inspired by what I have to say.
that in itself gives me a purpose.
I have spent the last month baking and cooking like a fiend. it is winter and that is what I am longing to do. I have wanted to fill the house with wonderful smells of the kitchen, keep the house warm with the fire and oven and make all sorts of comforting food that warms our bellies.
as someone who sees everything as a business opportunity, I dreamed of having a bakery, all gluten free. where I could bake all my goodies; cupcakes, cakes, muffins and more... where I could be creative all day long, where I could create this meeting place where folks could come and gather, where kids would drool over the variety of cupcakes and where I knew that everything baked was baked with love. sounds like a wonderful place and one that is actually needed in this small town. but when I sat back and really had time to ponder this idea, I realized that I can no longer attempt such a great idea. I just don't have the physical stamina for this kind of goal. it makes me sad and frustrated that i cannot make this come to fruition. i am not one to give up, but to find a different way of making things work. so this is how i retranslated this idea.
what if i packaged and marketed the gluten free baking mix i have created? what if instead of having to do all the baking, i could come up with new recipes for this baking mix and could share them? what if others could still enjoy these yummy delicious baked treats without me having to have a storefront? what if i could really just do this a few hours a week, instead of a 60 hour week? what if this could supplement my disability income? what if i could really do what i enjoy best, the creating, the coming up with new recipes, the marketing... without the work that taxes me physically? what a concept!!
what i do best is to take an idea and spin it out to the future to see what it could look like, then reel it back in to see the steps that it would have to take to be successful.
this idea seemed pretty basic to me. i already have the baking mix recipe, need to see what options there are for buying gluten free flours in bulk, price out the baking mix to see what the unit cost is,
determine what my price would be, see if it is possible to wholesale or keep just as a retail product, determine what packaging is necessary and where i can find it and write this all down!!! so it doesn't dance in my head while i am trying to sleep...
this is a fairly low cost investment idea. i am going to make up 12 units of baking mix, make up 6 in different recipes and ask a group of moms and kids to taste test them for me, and send out 6 to friends with a recipe to try and have them send me their comments.
and fine tune from there.
so, i have the baking mix recipe, i have the idea for packaging, i have my taste testing team, i have a few friends already to send samples to, and now i have to come up with my 6 most favorite
recipes to taste test. that is what i will be doing this weekend.
seems like this idea is taking shape. follow my journey on how this unfolds. i will start a new thread on this blog called "the big heart baking company" so you can follow along...
so here is today, i feel somewhat better, my fingers are writing, my head is a little clearer and it is a beautiful sunny cold day in the  mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment