Sunday, January 27, 2013

#17-19, cupcake wars!!


last weekend, my son (age 7) and I decided to "play" cupcake wars, like the show on food network. we love watching the show!! our initial challenge was to make one cupcake. we decided on a peanut butter and jelly cupcake. his favorite sandwich!
I used our newly created gluten free baking mix, (I am finishing up r and d so that I can offer this mix online), added a half cup of peanut butter, the wet mix of eggs, butter, vanilla and milk. oh my goodness, this cupcake is awesome!! with the mix of almond, coconut and rice flours, the cupcake is light but also has a density to it that reminds me of the cupcakes I grew up with as a child.
once the cupcakes had cooled, I made my mother's favorite buttercream frosting. a blend of powered sugar, butter and heavy whip cream and I added a bit more peanut butter. this made into the yummiest, smoothest peanut butter buttercream frosting.

next up was to make a trio of winning cupcakes. we decided on: our peanut butter cupcake with berry jam and peanut butter buttercream frosting.
a banana cupcake with fudge crème filling and peanut butter buttercream frosting.
a chocolate cupcake with berry jam filling and mocha buttercream frosting.

the winning trio!!

this was a super fun day with my son. he learned a lot about flavors, combining flavors, measurements and taste. we are still working on our presentation, but I think these cupcakes are worthy of winning cupcake wars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment