Wednesday, February 27, 2013

another day in paradise.... slice of my life #12

I felt this looming dread of sadness yesterday. Late in the afternoon, I found out about the horrific shootings in my old home town, Santa Cruz. Two detectives shot dead. Such a loss of these two wonderful people who were serving the town they both loved. I had a real hard time wrapping my head around how this even happened. The shooter never should have had a gun... but he did and he died as well. This is shaking up this small town to it's core. I woke up this morning feeling so sad.

But, I got myself dressed, my son to school, updated emails and facebook, went to yoga, went to the pharmacy, found my new tax accountant, set up an appt for tomorrow, went to the grocery store and went to my favorite thrift store where I always run into friends. Again this morning I did, my yoga teacher was there as well as the farmer's market manager. It was a good time to connect with her as I want to sell my baking mixes and amazing sweet treats this year at the market. When you live in a small town, it is so easy to run all of these errands at once. They are all within a block of each other!
No traffic, no parking problems, no lines... simple living at it's best!!

Once I got home, I was on a roll to work out a recipe for a gluten free, grain free, dairy free muffin. When I have an idea it tends to dance around in my head until I make it happen. I imagined a carrot, raisin, cinnamon, orange muffin. Well I mixed it all up and put it in the oven. Should have taken it out 2 minutes earlier... but wow!! I can't believe it worked! Yummy, moist and drizzled with an orange glaze, just a wee bit. I also used a coconut sugar instead of white sugar. Yeh! yummy. My baking mixes are becoming more and more healthy as the weeks go by. I think I am at about the healthy max right now. So with that it is time to call the department of environmental health and get certified!!

I am really working on getting my "work" life simple. I really can only work 10 hours or so a week. but in that time I need to earn $600. Crazy, I used to have $600 a goal for the day! or the week! but not the month. And this monthly goal seems even harder than it was before. So here is my equation, 10 hours a week \-$15 an hour- 4 weeks = $600. Now how hard should that be!? Believe me it has been so challenging. Of course I need to work from home if possible, have the flexibility to work when I can during the week... and not products on consignment! That is what I did most of last year, and after hours and hours and hours of work, the products may or may not sell. I am going to limit myself to the 3 stores I have now. They are only producing about $75 a month total... not really worth taking on any more. Sorry, I am really thinking out loud as I am writing. I have my March project lined up already. I have a quilt to make! And June and August are set up with teaching camp. But I am rolling into March two months behind financially already.

At the end of March, I am coming down to the bay area. I will be posting an order form for baking mixes and muffins... which I will make up here and bring down. Make sure you order early as I will have limited time to bake ahead of time.

Time to pick up my son. Until tomorrow. enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment