Monday, February 25, 2013

our sunday drive... slice of my life #11

It is so easy just to stay home. there are always projects at hand to do. nice to just be lazy and relax. yesterday was a glorious sunny and clear day. I had to get out of the house!! so, I took my son and our two dogs on a sunday drive. I had read about this place that sold vintage stuff in a small town called linden. after looking at the map I realized it was only an hour plus away. so off we went.

the drive was beautiful. all of the county side was green and sparkling after last week's snow. we drove through a couple of very small towns until we reached our last turn off. no signs, no street numbers, but I thought this must be it. thank goodness another car was leaving as we came in, so I rolled down the window and they said "looking for Nicole?" "yes, I am", "just down this lane,  you will find her". oh good, I didn't get us lost!! ahead of us was this old barn... and out of the side door,
Nicole walked towards us. I told her who I was and she welcomed us in...

I wish I had taken pictures, sorry all. she has converted her side barn where as a child she raised show pigs, into a quaint country vintage shop. I was in heaven!! I was looking for a door to use as a headboard in my room. I managed to find about a dozen pieces that I fell in love with. the hardest part was to narrow down what I could fit in my car to take home. this is what fit!!

1. a very old distressed full size and very heavy door with an amazing iron lock.
2. a pre-pattened kerosene stove in great condition!!
3. a black distressed clock.
4. a side table that is fabulous.
5. an old light fixture that I am going to use as a candle holder.
6. a distressed with burlap picture board.

you see, I have this 10x12 barn that I had built last fall on my property. I think it is going to be an art barn/reading room/vintage goodies barn... I have a vision of how I want it to look... it still needs painting inside and out. needs a front step and a small porch. this is my major spring project. I haven't done anything yet to my backyard of 1/2 acre... and this is one of the focal point. and as you can see, I am chomping at the bit to start decorating it.

so what I left behind.... was an old screen door, a rusted brass bed set, a vintage bathtub, the kind you see in the western movies, a dresser with a mirror that she had restored beautifully and a few other accessories...

I will be posting pictures of my finds shortly.

oh what a fun day!! and to find such a nice new friend on the other end of our sunday country drive.
the drive home was just as beautiful. I went home the other way around. through some amazing farm property, got lost for a brief moment but got back on track quickly. it was so fun to explore this new area and discover such treasures!

planning next Sunday's drive already!! going in the opposite direction unless the treasures I left behind are calling me name!!

the primitive barn, linden, California.
Nicole has a facebook page and an etsy site.

No comments:

Post a Comment