Saturday, March 2, 2013

how do i define "simple living for a rich life" #31.

how do I define simple living for a rich life.

simplify-
eliminate all unnecessary distractions in order to focus on the crème de la crème of life.

personal joy-
do what makes you happy; for me that is feeling fulfilled, productive, creative, spontaneous, joyful and at peace. teach this forward!

friends-
surround yourself with friends who are on the same or similar path of simplicity. sharing ideas and collaborating is wonderful!!

stuff-
purge your stuff!
if you haven't used it in over a year, can't replace it for less than $20 and forgot you had it, it is gone.
a friend of mine purged her house with the following intention. "I am moving to Africa and have to ship everything, what would I bring?"
I purged when we moved 2 years ago, then again last year and again as I have been unpacking. I have one more layer and I think I will be down to essentials!!

food-
eat as organically as possible, farm to table.

money-
determine an actual budget. then take each line item and try to reduce it as much as possible.
for example.
cell phone- by switching from sprint to a local carrier, I was able to save 50%.  Then I audit my bill monthly to make sure I am on the right plan. I just reduced my bill again by $15.
once you have determined a budget with tight numbers, who can actually figure out how much you need to earn to meet your budget. I did this years ago by writing down every single penny I spent for 3 months. and then really took a look at what I spent my money on. I was appalled by how much I was spending at starbucks!! and figured out that if I took that amount each month and saved it, by the end of the year, I could have a long weekend vacation! and more!
it is surprising how many people never have written down their expenses, but are surprised they never have any money at the end of the month. the less I have to live on, the more aware I am of what we are spending.
I am not a huge coupon clipper, rebater or sales guru, but I do look for bargains, buy a lot at the thrift stores and am careful with my funds.
I do write down what I spend on my monthly bills each month. and buy with my debit card so I can see what I have spent at the end of the month, and know where my money has gone.
knowledge is power!!!
I would rather spend money on adventures that create memories than a meal out.

education-
learn something new, teach your children by experience, volunteer your expertise to someone who can benefit from it-  be a student of the world.

I have gone from a business owner making $100,000+ to raising my family on less than $22,000 a year.
I truly believe I have a much richer life now than I ever have had. I have the time to be present, the motivation to teach my son by experience and have decreased my stress level ten fold.

As of today, this is my definition of simple living for a rich life. Likely it will change a bit as our journey continues...





No comments:

Post a Comment