Tuesday, April 9, 2013

spring break

I started this post last week and was going to wait to finish it then post... but since it has taken me longer than expected, i am going to post what i have so far....

it is spring break for my son, and we are back in the bay area visiting my mom, friends and the beach.
i woke up this morning feeling like i had been run over by a mack truck so they say. i have been keeping us on our usual sleep schedule... but this morning, i had overslept by 3 hours!

i spent the day running errands while my mom watched my son. yesterday didn't phase me much, a trip to ikea and then to the park for a very long playdate. my son's best best friend is here and i wanted him to get as much "jax" time as he could.

today was a different story. no distraction of kids, catching up with friends. i was alone in my car dealing with the immense amount of traffic, noise, people, chaos, confusion and busyness. with blue tooths or cell phones attached to their ears, everyone seemed to be in a hurry to get somewhere important. hardly looking up to cross the street, these "people" all dressed up in their "work" clothes were moving at the speed of sound.

the air was filled with a sweet combination of a multitude of soaps and after shaves, with a hint of the perfume you would find at the counter of saks fifth avenue. i have not smelled so many fragrances all at once since i worked at macys next to the cosmetic department.

i was overwhelmed by the amount of stimulation that filled my body. the sights, the smells, the noise, the chaos, and yet i lived here for nearly my entire life before moving to the mountains. did i just not realize the intensity of this environment or did i try to shield it out for so many years?

more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment