Monday, February 10, 2014

yes, it has been a long time since i have written.

2014. started off very differently than any other year. we packed up and went on vacation. I took my son out of school for 2 weeks and away we went. January 14th
was the 10th anniversary of my father's passing and I wanted to do something to celebrate his life. he talked about a trip his family took in 1937 to Tahiti. all five of
them went on a freighter to Tahiti. they brought back all sorts of carved wood items. not sure how they got them all on the boat or from los angles to grants pass Oregon.
couldn't think of a more fitting vacation that to go on a cruise to Hawaii. by going off season, the rates were super low! I researched and we couldn't even go to Hawaii by air for 5 days for what the cruise rate was for 15 days.
What I kept hearing myself say to new friends on the cruise was this: "we live a very very simple life during the year, so that we are able to go on amazing vacations like this" This vacation was thanks to my dad. But I hoped to go on many more...
So "simple living for a rich life" was making more and more sense to me. not only does simple living give you very rich moments of experience, but if my simple living could also allow me to save money, rich experiences on vacation could also be a reality. I came home from vacation with a plan. I would make sure that all of my bills were carefully looked at to make sure they were at a minimum. I would give myself a weekly budget for food/gas/household. I would save money every month. and I would track every penny to make sure I wasn't overspending.
So my plan is:
$1200 to pay my monthly bills.
$100 for my sons music lessons.
$400 a month for food, gas, household.
$200 a month of orthodontics/extra medical
$400 a month savings/travel.
that is $2300 a month.
yes, that is it.
this is less than I made 30 years ago!!
but my disability puts me on a fixed income and limits the extra you can make.
$2300 is my number.
I share this with you because I want to show you how we and you can have an amazing life by living simply which will let you go on richly filled adventures.

the most challenging part of this budget is the $100 a week. it really makes me think my meal planning, my errand planning, what do we really need versus want to splurge on.

I started the last week of January.
the first week was great. actually saved $23 of the $100.
the second week was more challenging. needed to buy supplies for valentines day.
had 2 prescriptions to buy. and needed to buy batteries. I was able to keep within my $100, but not a penny saved.
this is the third week. i splurged on taking my son to the movies yesterday and have bought my gas for the week. i have $43 left for groceries. milk, cheese yogurt, fruit, veggies and eggs. i will look at what is in the freezer for protein. have plenty of bread in the freezer and plenty of cereal available.

my $4800 of income this year: teaching fiber and textile arts to local students and teaching in the bay area every other month. will make and sell items to fill in the difference if needed.

vacation plans:
spring break- 5 days away.
may break- 2 days away.
memorial day-home
summer- 2 weeks away.
labor day- home
birthday celebration- 5 days away
thanksgiving-home
winter break 2 weeks away.

40 days away.
sounds like a great year!!

i will be blogging to report in my progress of keeping on my plan!! hope to share to share ideas as well as i learn different ways to save money.

#1 January idea. make your own mocha instead of buying one.
to make costs 30 cents. to buy $4.00. so for every mocha you make
instead of buying you save over $3.00. i drink at least 4 a week. that is over
200 a year. saving me $600 a year!! that's a lot of spare change.

simple living for a rich life has a new plan and is ready to enjoy life!!




No comments:

Post a Comment